Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tried this email in March/April

From: RDShatt
To: [previously emailed law professors]
Sent:

Subj: How do you educate judges about plaintiffs' lawyers?

Dear Professor ____________,

In 2004 I endeavored to enlist the expertise of yourself and other tort law professors to enlighten the voting public about plaintiffs' lawyers and tort reform. That was unfortunately not successful. See my blog at D. Law Professors .

Last year I received notice I was a member of the plaintiff class in a class action lawsuit against credit companies and banks related to currency conversion fees in foreign transactions. See In re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Litigation. In September I wrote a letter to the judge in the case, one William H. Pauley, III (which letter you can read at Letter to Judge Pauley), in which I said, among other things, he should be ashamed if he puts his stamp of approval on the lawyer shenanigans in the case. The hearing on final approval was scheduled for March 31, 2008.

Progress is slowly being made against plaintiffs' lawyers. It would be nice if being right on a matter of social, legal and economic policy allowed for swifter change, but too many countervailing factors prevent that, and it is simply necessary to keep pushing the right case wherever it can possibly make a difference. In this one, judges can make a difference. I sent my letter to Judge Pauley and I would like to convey a similar message to other judges.

The views of tort law professors (even if limited to issue framing) ought to have some effect with judges and certainly more effect than anything I can say.

If you can offer me any assistance or suggestions in communicating with judges on this subject, I would very much like to hear from you .

Thank you.

Sincerely,

No comments: