Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ethics and Society for Human Resource Management

From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: susan.reyes@shrm.org
Sent: 10/3/2012 2:47:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Is Corporate Ethics Becoming a Hot-Button Issue?
Dear Ms. Reyes,
I found your email address on the SHRM Foundation page as the contact for questions. I am not a member of SHRM and could not find an appropriate email contact for SHRM itself. Thus I am starting my inquiry by emailing you.
On the SHRM website, under "HR Disciplines-Ethics and Sustainability-General Ethics," there is the above captioned article "Is Corporate Ethics Becoming a Hot-Button Issue?" Because I am not a SHRM member I cannot access the article. Trying to investigate elsewhere on the website, such as SHRM publications and conferences, I am unable to determine how deep into corporate ethics SHRM has proceeded.
Corporate ethics and compliance officers have their Ethics & Compliance Officer Association, and the ECOA is narrowly focused on ethics and compliance, compared to the broader scope of HR functions and concerns that occupy SHRM.
I am not an academic. I have been pursuing an interest in the subject of entity level liability versus officer and employee individual liability as a means to deter corporate wrongdoing. I have made extensive exploration of this subject as indicated, for example, by this project I initiated in June of 2011.
For reasons indicated in my Interim project report, I have doubts about the capacity of the ECOA and other interested parties to address adequately, and fairly take positions on, the corporate ethics questions that are involved.
Given the foregoing, I wish to recruit additional parties who may contribute to analyzing the issues and possibly being able to express views fairly. With the seeming expansion of SHRM in the corporate ethics field, I would like to identify persons in SHRM executive leadership who are taking a leading role in developing the ethics component of the HR "Ethics and Sustainability" discipline that SHRM lists on its website.
Can you identify for me any such leaders or other appropriate SHRM personnel, with their email addresses, for purposes of my contacting them about this matter?
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck


From: Susan.Reyes@shrm.org
To: RDShatt@aol.com
Sent: 10/3/2012 2:51:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: RE: Is Corporate Ethics Becoming a Hot-Button Issue?
Good afternoon. I have referred you to a good friend in our Knowledge Center here at SHRM. I am hopeful he will be able to assist you with some insight. Any materials at www.shrmfoundation.org do not require a member id to access.
Kind Regards,
Susan


From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: Deb.Cohen@shrm.org
CC: susan.reyes@shrm.org
Sent: 2/20/2013 5:47:36 P.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Fwd: Is Corporate Ethics Becoming a Hot-Button Issue?
Dear Dr. Cohen,
Susan Reyes at the Foundation tried to help me out regarding the below, but it seems to have gotten lost in the cracks.
You, as being responsible for the Knowledge Development Center, seem the person at SHRM for me to make direct inquiry to.
I am not a member of SHRM, and I would like, as an outsider, to engage with someone at SHRM on the subject matter of the below emails.
I would like to ask you, if you could, to read the below emails, and, after you have read them, make a decision either that this is something that I might engage with someone at SHRM about, or that it is something about which SHRM should not be occupied engaging with an outsider about.
I want to engage with SHRM on the matter, but I can understand if engaging with an outsider on the subject is not something that SHRM should decide to do.
I am only seeking an indication one way or the other.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
Birmingham, AL

From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: deb.cohen@shrm.org
Sent: 3/8/2013 10:30:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Bank of America Global Human Resources Executive
Dear Dr. Cohen:
I don't know if you have had any reaction to my February 20th email to you, regarding SHRM's activity on the business ethics front, but I wish to pass on to you that, in contacting Bank of America by telephone to request the name and address of the Chief Ethics Officer for sending a letter to, I could only be given the name of Ms. Andrea Smith, Global Human Resources Executive, at Bank of America. Accordingly, I sent my below letter on the business ethics matter in question to Ms. Smith.
Again, I am interested in finding out whether SHRM has any interested in engaging with me on the business ethics front.
Thanks.
Rob Shattuck


No comments: