Friday, January 25, 2013

Communications on judicial front

The following are communications with judge and judiciary oriented organizations relative to the Citigroup and Bank of America litigations:


From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: fja@federaljudgesassoc.org
Sent: 1/20/2013 11:54:17 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Judicial independence; public opinion
Dear Sir or Madam,
I have previously tried to communicate with the FJA (see below email).
I can understand and appreciate the FJA mission to protect the independence of the judiciary.
At the same time, the judiciary can appear to the public to be in a cocoon, detached from reality, and indifferent to legitimate concerns of the public.
I am sure others have expressed complaints to the FJA, about which I cannot speak.
I wish onlt to voice the particular complaint I have, the current embodiment of which can be found in this objection I am attempting to file in the Citigroup and Bank of America securities class action litigations that are pending in the Southern District of New York.
I am not a member of the plaintiff class in either case, which is part of my point, to wit, I feel there are larger public interests involved in these and other class action litigations that the judiciary gives no regard to in the exercise of its powers and discretions.
Read the objection, and tell me I am wrong. Tell me that Judges Stein and Castel are fully cognizant of the issues I raise, and either that these issues can have no legal bearing on how the judges exercise their discretions in the cases or that the issues I raise are not meritorious of thoughtful consideration by the judges and possible effect on their exercise of their discretion.
Thank you for your attention to this letter.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

2. ABA Justice Center

From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: peter.koelling@americanbar.org
Sent: 1/24/2013 8:28:03 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Continued request for engagement with Justice Center; Citigroup, Bank of America
Dear Mr. Koelling,
I have previously tried to communicate with the Justice Center (see, e.,g., below email).
I can appreciate that the Justice Center has many judiciary related subjects it wishes to give attention to, and the subject I have endeavored to raise is not of a priority for the Justice Center. Also, I am only a member of the public, in competition with judges, bar leaders, law professors and deans, for engaging the Center.
I nonetheless will continue to press for the Justice Center's attention.
I think the judiciary can appear to the public to be in a cocoon, detached from reality, and indifferent to legitimate concerns of the public. I am a "tort reformer" and feel the judiciary has manifested significant failure on behalf of the public's interest.
The current embodiment of my complaint against the judiciary can be found in this objection I am attempting to file in the Citigroup and Bank of America securities class action litigations that are pending in the Southern District of New York.
I am not a member of the plaintiff class in either case, which is part of my point, to wit, I feel there are larger public interests involved in these and other class action litigations that the judiciary gives no regard to in the exercise of its powers and discretions.
Read the objection, and tell me I am wrong. Tell me that Judges Stein and Castel are fully cognizant of the issues I raise, and either that these issues can have no legal bearing on how the judges exercise their discretions in the cases or that the issues I raise are not meritorious of thoughtful consideration by the judges and possible effect on their exercise of their discretion.
Thank you for your attention to this letter.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

From: Peter.Koelling@americanbar.org
To: RDShatt@aol.com
Sent: 1/24/2013 9:39:08 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: RE: Continued request for engagement with Justice Center; Citigroup, Bank of America
Dear Mr. Shattuck,
The Justice Center is not interested in becoming involved in your project at this time. We are not able to engage in matters that are in litigation or might result in litigation. As a membership organization the ABA must first respond to the interest of its members.
Best,
Peter M. Koelling
Director Chief Counsel, ABA Justice Center

No comments: