Saturday, May 4, 2013

Alabama State Sen. Blackwell; Rep. Carns


From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: sb@sladeblackwell.com, jwcarns@yahoo.com
Sent: 5/2/2013 7:52:38 A.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Fwd: The economy, plaintiffs' lawyers, and the Attorney General's office
Dear Senator Blackwell and Representative Carns,
I am a constituent of yours. I believe that certain class action and other "public" litigation that is pursued by plaintiffs' lawyers should instead be taken on by the state attorney general's office. I have written General Strange about this, per the below email. I hope you will read the email, and, if you are persuaded by what I say, you will employ your legislative offices to advance the objectives of my advocacy.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
3812 Spring Valley Circle
Mountain Brook, AL 35223

From: RDShatt@aol.com
To: constitutentaffairs@ago.state.al.us
Sent: 4/29/2013 10:51:02 A.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: The economy, plaintiffs' lawyers, and the Attorney General's office
Dear Mr. Loftin,
Besides the specific matter I contacted the AG's office about recently, I have been making advocacy that class action and other "public" litigation that is pursued by plaintiffs' lawyers should instead be taken on by state AG offices.
I had some particular communications in 2011 with the AG's office about this, which communications you may find here in my blog. I am resuming on the this, including by contacting my Alabama state Senator and state Representative, and further contacting law school deans, and I want to let General Strange know about that.
In Birmingham, we are currently being inundated by TV commercials trolling for a variety of medical injury claims to prosecute, and billboard advertising by plaintiffs' lawyers seems to have increased.
Lots of struggling continues in the economy.. That includes lawyers struggling, which could explain the increased advertising.
The question for our lawmakers and for government prosecutors and regulators (such as the Attorney General), and for all the non-lawyer citizens, is whether societal interests are being properly served by everything the plaintiffs' lawyers do. Proposals for medical malpractice reform seem to be on the table constantly, and the debilitated state of the economy and the problems of governmental debt and deficit may be heightening the attention currently. See this report: States Debating Innovative Approaches to Medical Malpractice Reform | HealthFlock.
I don't know exactly where General Strange stands on this. I hope he and Alabama lawmakers are on the side of societal interests and not on the side of plaintiffs' lawyers interests.
Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

No comments: