Tuesday, December 1, 2009

American Judicature Society

From: RDShatt
To: sandersen@ajs.org
Sent: 12/1/2009 5:42:36 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Re: Inquiry regarding AJS membership

Thank you very much for your favorable reply, Mr. Andersen.

While AJS may not take positions on the matters I am interested in, I will assume it is not out of bounds for one member to try to engage other members in discussions about such matters, and, if I became a member, I would try to utilize AJS's facilities to do that. Again, if you think that would be frowned on, please say so, and I will not apply to become a member.

I repeat that I think my issues have a connection to the listed primary areas of focus of the AJS. For example, in the areas of judicial independence and judicial selection, there is a debate going on about judicial election versus judicial appointment, and, in some quarters (e.g., The Wall Street Journal), there is concern about lawyers and their politics and agenda unduly influencing judicial appointments, I would desire to engage with other members in discussion about that matter.

Again, thank you for the reply, and unless I hear from you again soliciting me not to proceed, I will make an application and try AJS out for a year.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

From: sandersen@ajs.org
To: RDShatt@aol.com
Sent: 11/30/2009 9:30:25 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: RE: Inquiry regarding AJS membership

Mr. Shattuck:

Thank you for your message and for your interest in the work of the American Judicature Society. Membership in AJS is open to anyone who is interested in improving the administration of justice. The membership and Board of Directors of AJS includes state and federal judges, plaintiffs and defense attorneys (both criminal and civil, and private and government attorneys), in-house corporate attorneys, law enforcement officials, law school deans and professors, political scientists who study the courts, and concerned non-lawyer citizens. You may join online at: http://www.ajs.org/ajs/ajs_membership.asp. (Dues rates and benefits of membership are listed at this page, as well.)

Please note that the American Judicature Society does not take positions on many of the issues that appear to be of greatest interest to you, such as class action litigation. AJS is primarily focused on promoting research-based improvements in the administration of justice and the structure of the courts. The substantive law governing class actions or any other categories of cases or controversies is addressed by many other organizations.

Sincerely,

Seth Andersen
Executive Director
American Judicature Society


From: RDShatt@aol.com [mailto:RDShatt@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 8:07 AM
To: sandersen@ajs.org
Subject: Inquiry regarding AJS membership

Dear Mr. Andersen,
I am a citizen activist who strenuously objects to much class action litigation. I have a blog that I have entitled How To Combat Plaintiffs' Lawyers. I have expressed sharp criticism of juges in my blog and in emails. See, e.g., my blog entries here http://robertshattuck.blogspot.com/search/label/E3.%20Judges

The AJS website says it is an independent, national, nonpartisan organization of judges, lawyers, and other members of the public who seek to improve the justice system, and that primary areas of focus are judicial independence, judicial conduct and ethics, judicial selection, the jury, the criminal justice system, and public understanding of the justice system.

I believe I am a member of the public who seeks to improve the justice system, I have views that have a connection to all the AJS areas of focus, and my activities include trying to increase public understanding of the justice system.

I wish to pay the dues to join the AJS and become a member of the AJS. As a member I would try to use the facilities of the AJS to communcate my views to other members for their consideration, discussion and debate.

I can understand if the AJS might prefer that I not become a member. If that is the case, I would defer to that preference and not try to become a member.

Please advise me whether it is acceptable to the AJS for me to become a member, and, if it is, I will submit my application.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

No comments: