Friday, November 16, 2007

I started with newspapers

I kicked things off in the beginning of August 2004 by emailing to newspapers. My initial form of email to newspapers was this, that I sent to upwards of 200 newspapers:

"Dear [name, if I had a name, or Sir or Madam, if not],

"I believe that the presence of John Edwards on the Democratic ticket should bring to the fore the important issue of the damage that plaintiffs' lawyers are doing to our country. I hope the [name of newspaper] will give a good airing in its pages of this subject in the next three months.

"I don't think you will have any difficulty in finding resources on the plaintiff's lawyers issue, but I offer that I am available if you would like to help provide input regarding this subject.

"Thank you.

"[my name, address and telephone number]"

After about ten days of sending out the foregoing email, and receiving minimal response, I ratcheted up the tone of my newspaper email and started sending this form of email:

"Dear _________________,

"I am a citizen who believes that plaintiffs' lawyers are perpetrating an egregious travesty on our society and legal system. I believe that the presence of John Edwards on the Democratic ticket should bring to the fore the important issue of the damage that plaintiffs' lawyers are doing to our country. I hope [name of newspaper]will give a good airing in its pages of opposing viewpoints on this subject in the next two and a half months.

"I have written strong opinions against plaintiffs' lawyers in the past and append two of my past writings below. I offer my assistance if your newspaper wishes to endeavor to solicit from various parties, such as tort reform groups, bar associations, and law professors, written statements of their positions for publication in your newspaper.

"Please contact me if I can be of help.

"Thank you."

No comments: